Minutes of Meetings
Southbrook Condo Association Meeting Minutes
Monday, March 13, 2023
Fellowship Alliance Church Sanctuary
1. Board chairman, Brian LaMeres, called the meeting to order at 5:30 pm at the Alliance Community Church.
2. The roll was called to determine if a quorum was present – with 25 proxies and 19 people present a quorum was met.
3. The current Board introduced themselves; it was announced that Gene had retired and that Bill Jones had resigned from the Board to take the Property Manager position.
4. Report by Bill Jones:
- Association members are encouraged to help each other out in navigating the property in the winter Snow and ice buildup was inevitable since snow removal takes place after everyone has gone
- to work and packed down the lot with their cars. The cost of snow removal is $1,000 per visit.
- The city should move the no parking signs on 23rd further back from the edge of the entrance.
- Tree and branch removal is needed because of damage during the winter storms.
- The gutters need cleaning. (An ice dam problem caused leakage in one first level unit; cost to remove the ice was $1500. A permanent fix to the gutter is needed.)
- Since our roofs are quite new, there is good protective underlay beneath the shingles.
- One or two buildings should be painted this summer.
- Light bulbs and ice melt have been replaced as needed. Residents should not discard the ice melt containers when they are empty. New ones are costly.
- Gene left us with good maintenance contracts for this year and next.
5. Discussion and suggestions about maintenance from members and Board members
- As we are thinning the trees, can we plant some new ones so that not all of our trees are the same age?
- What have been the results of the leaf guards on the gutters of one unit? Are they worth the expense?
- The association is responsible for inspecting the chimneys, but owners need to pay for any cleaning that is found to be necessary. Owners want to be informed when chimney inspections are scheduled. Because of the danger of chimney fires, there will be follow-up by the Board to be sure any chimney that needs cleaning is cleaned.
- Owners are responsible for regular cleaning of the dryer vents.
- Finding vendors to do the work is becoming more difficult. Nevertheless, members want to know that the Board finds the best bid.
- If there is another winter like this one, can something be done to mitigate the dangerous ice on the roads? Sand?
- Southbrook's park area between the creek and 20th street has a container for plastic poop bags, but it is empty. We should get it filled.
6. Proposed budget and discussion
- Brian LaMeres explained the need to raise the dues since our infrastructure is aging, we have a shortfall of funds for our required reserves, and regular items on the budget such as snow removal and lawn care have gone up dramatically over the past 5 years.
- We should add a budget item for rehabilitation every year in order to be prepared for major infrastructure needs that are likely to arise.
- The Board recommended two options for due increases - $25 or $35 per month.
- After some discussion, a motion to raise the dues $35 per month for a total of $200 was made and seconded. The motion passed with 42 for and 2 against.
7. A slate of four candidates for the Board of Directors, Bob Davis, Esther Fishbaugh, Emily Gonzales and Jorie Hanson, was presented. The candidates were unanimously approved to serve on the Board.
8. Appreciation was expressed for the retiring Board Members – Patti Britton, Bill Jones, and Brian LaMeres, all of whom have given years of service to the Association.
9. Topics from the membership were proposed and there was general support for the following ideas:
- A quarterly newsletter and budget report
- Community activities such as a 4th of July party and a Community clean-up day
- A sign designating the lawn on 20th Street as the property of Southbrook, not a public park.
10. The meeting was adjourned at 7:25.